Monday, September 29, 2008

at the Farm


Just for one night... term break but swimming lessons for the children this week... so had to come back home. good thing I like my own bed! Before we left on Sunday evening I took these photos. Jase was taken with how nice these hens were, I love their colourings! Mum sold a couple on Trademe for $150.00 for the pair... normally they are about $25 each! She has 30 something chicks at various stages at the moment - some in the office, the glass house...& I think she had to move some out of the bedrooms so there were places for us to sleep too!


Love that these hens (& the rooster) get such a free life - true free range!


Don't these goats look contented?

OK, need to stop procrastinating & do some stuff!
Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

Jenny said...

I would love to have some hens, Lara unfortunately I'll have to continue relying on free-range egss at the supermarket

Anonymous said...

I feel like I should break into song and sing Old McDonald had a farm. Wow at 30 chicks at different stages though.

Anonymous said...

Ooooh I'm trying to convince Mum and Dad to get some hens. Now that they've moved off the farm I think they need some 'hobby' animals to look after. Enjoy your holidays.

Penny said...

I am always tempted by the thought of eggs but I think hens would be a bit too much for me right now. I'll stick to the free range eggs... very excited to discover an outfit that deliver them for very good price!

KiwiMich said...

DH wants to build a hen house in the backyard so he can have fresh eggs - somehow I don't think the neighbours would like it! LOL! Maybe in a few years time when we get a bigger patch of dirt ;)

angie said...

i love those photos! and the hen is so pretty! i used to have chickens when we lived on a farm, and i miss them so. i would love to have them again someday. thanks for the smile:)
angie from SIS

Anonymous said...

Love those hens! Too cute :)

Twobees said...

Beautiful hen Lara, wow at your mum getting $150 a pair, that is amazing. Makes me "nearly" want to breed them LOL.
Were down to 2 now, gave a few away to friends who wanted some, just two left now. Thought theyd gone off the lay, till yesterday I lifted a branch in the hedge and there was 36 eggs there, kids had a ball breaking them LOL