Friday, July 27, 2012

Sourdough and Self Care

I have been hankering to have a go at some sourdough bread.  Last week after watching the Fabulous Baker Brothers talk about their ancient sourdough starter I checked out their recipe & made a starter.  Each day I have fed and nurtured this little bubbling mixture.  Yesterday it was grown up enough to be used for a loaf of bread.  My loaf isn't very loaf-ish looking but it tastes great.  I think I will look at getting a proving basket for the real sourdough experience.  I was up at 6 this morning to crank up the oven and get it cooked before work and school today.  So now as well as Caspian sea yogurt in a jar reproducing on our bench top I also have a sourdough starter  bubbling away in a jar there too.  There is still plenty of room for the coffee machine!

Today was the send off day for the self-care swap I have been collating over the last month or so that Janine organised.  I had a list of what another person likes/dislikes and have had this in the back of my mind when I have been out and about.  I would have liked a greater 'handmade' element but not really knowing what someone's home or 'style' is I found this to be in the too hard basket.  I have thoroughly enjoyed the process of choosing things for someone I don't know well, thinking about the kinds of reactions might be had when they open the packages and hoping they are ones of happiness - the kinds of emotions that I would like someone to have - I think that true self-care is perhaps allowing yourself to smile on the inside and gaining ongoing pleasure from that happiness.  But now that I've sent it there's an element of worry about whether I got it right or not...

2 comments:

KiwiMich said...

How do you 'start' a sour dough starter? My sis-in-law in Oz made some yummy loaves each morning I was visiting ... sooo delicious! Really want to try one for myself!

Janine said...

oh your starters sound like they are progressing well. As for the self care swap,I found the same thing last year even though I considered that the person I had I knew well. I needn't have worried at all. This year I did a mixture of handmade and bought this year and I will confess, there was a "I hope they love it" moment. I now realise that it's human nature, but I know that everyone loves happy mail more so when thought and care has gone into it. Thanks for taking part and keep an eye out in your letterbox towards the end of the week :-)